A. Personal Statement
I am a Professor and Vice Dean at the School of Public Health, Fudan University, Shanghai, China. I am also a Member of the Scientific and Technical Advisory Group of the Department of Reproductive Health and Research (RHR) in World Health Organization since 2012. My main research areas cover safe motherhood, adolescent reproductive health, maternal health policy, etc. As the PI, my research projects have been supported by WHO, UNICEF, UNFPA, European Commission, and US-NIH Fogarty Center.
B. Positions and Employment
1987 - 1989 Assistant Lecturer, Dept. of Health Statistics & Community Health,
School of Public Health, Shanghai Medical University
1989 - 1990 Lecturer, Dept. of Maternal & Child Health,
School of Public Health, Shanghai Medical University
1993 - 1995 Lecturer and Vice Chair, Dept. of Maternal & Child Health, Shanghai Medical University
1995 - 2000 Associate Professor and Chair, Dept. of Maternal & Child Health,
Shanghai Medical University
2000 – Present Professor and Chair, Dept. of Maternal & Child Health
Vice Dean of School of Public Health, Fudan University
C. Selected peer-reviewed publications (in chronological order).
1. Qian X, Smith HJ, Liang H, Liang J, Garner Paul: Evidence-informed obstetric practice during normal birth in China: trends and influences in four hospitals, BMC Health Services Research 2006, 6:29 http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6963/6/29
2. Chen YY, Qian X, Li J, et al. Cost effectiveness analysis of prenatal diagnosis intervention for Down’s syndrome in China. International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care, 2007,23(1):138-145.
3. Chen YY, Qian X, Schweitzer SO: Use of genetic services for the prevention and control of birth defects in China. International Journal of Healthcare Technology and Management, 2007, 8(5):451-463.
4. Qian X, Smith HJ, Huang WY, Zhang J, Huang Y, Garner Paul: Promoting contraceptive use among unmarried female migrants in one factory in Shanghai: a pilot workplace intervention. BMC Health Services Research 2007, 7:77 http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6963/7/77
5. Li J, Chen LL, Chen SZ, Zhao NQ, Qian X (Corresponding author). Study of the feasibility for application of ARIMA model to predict maternal mortality ration in Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region. Fudan University Journal of Medical Science, 2008; 35(6): 799-805.
6. Jiang H, He GS, Lin SH, Fan YY, Jiang HY, Zhou H, Qian X. Cohort study on the impact of physical activity during pregnancy on infant size. Chinese Journal of Child Health Care, 2009; 17(1): 1-4.
7. Zhang X, Gong XZ, Xu WX, Jiang YS, Qian X (Corresponding author), Xu AD, Xu CJ. Analysis on associated factors of cervical cancer screening participation among retired and pro-poverty women in Hongkou District, Shanghai. Maternal and Child Health Care of China, 2009; 24(12): 1651-5.
8. Li J, Qian X. Evidence-based practice of maternal health development. Maternal and Child Health Care of China, 2009, 10(24): 4185-8.
9. Li J, Yao H, Chen LL, Chen SZ, Zhao NQ, Qian X. Evaluation of effect of safety policy of mothers and infants on maternal mortality. Maternal and Child Health Care of China, 2009,11(24):4655-60.
10. Green A, Gerein N, Mirzoev T, Bird P, Pearson S, Anh LV, Martineau T, Mukhopadhyay M, Qian X, Ramani KV, Soors W. Health policy processes in maternal health: A comparison of Vietnam, India and China. [J]. Health Policy, 2011, 100（2-3）: 167-173
11. Liang J, Qian X, Wang L, Xu ED，Xu CJ. Study on determinants of cervical cancer screening service utilization in urban communities in Shanghai, China [J]. Chinese Health Resources, 2011, 26(2): 111-113
12. Xiong X, Buekens P, Goldenberg R, Offenbacher S, Qian X Optimal timing of periodontal disease treatment for prevention of adverse pregnancy outcomes: Before or during pregnancy? American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2011;205:111.e1-6.
13.Jiang H, Qian X, Li M, Lynn H, Fan YY, Jiang HY, He FL, He GS. Can physical activity reduce excessive gestational weight gain? Findings from a Chinese urban pregnant women cohort study. BMC Journal of Nutritional and Physical Activity, 2012; 9:12. (available at: http://www.ijbnpa.org/content/9/1/12).
14. Jiang H, Li M, Yang DL, Wen LM, Hunter C, He GS, Qian X (Corresponding author). Awareness, intention and needs regarding breastfeeding: Findings from first-time mothers in Shanghai, China. Breastfeeding Medicine, 2012 ( available online: http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/full/10.1089/bfm.2011.0124).
15.Jiang H, He GS, Li M, Fan YY, Jiang HY, Bauman A, Qian X (Corresponding author). Reliability and validity of a physical activity scale among urban pregnant women in Eastern China. Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health, published online 16 May 2012 (available online: http://aph.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/05/03/1010539512443697)
D. Ongoing Research Support
1. EC FP7: 282490 2012-2016
Integrating post-abortion family planning services into China’s existing abortion services in hospital settings
My role: Principal Investigator
2. Nestle Foundation 2010-2013
SMS and web-based support for appropriate infant feeding to prevent childhood obesity in urban China
My role: Chief Investigator
3. National Natural Science Foundation of China 2012-2015
Pre-pregnancy Periodontal Disease Therapy and Inflammatory Response Related to Pregnancy